Thursday, April 28, 2011

Vegan Coconut Lime Cupcakes...

A friend of ours owns a bakery in town + {among other ridiculously delicious confections} makes the most AMAZING Key Lime Pie...surely not vegan. I splurged on a sliver of this lime-y goodness when I bought the pie for my Mum's birthday celebration last month and I've not been able to get it out of my mind since! So for Easter, I thought I would whip up some Key Lime Cupcakes...Vegan style. I looked through my copy of Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World and came across their recipe for Coconut Lime Cupcakes. I had kind of already broke the bank on the rest of the groceries I had purchased to host the Easter holiday at our house, so needless to say, I wasn't looking to buy some of the extra ingredients that this particular recipe called for {such as coconut milk + coconut oil.}

*************

Instead, I made the Golden Vanilla Cupcakes {Recipe Here} , only I added 1/2 tsp. of Coconut Extract {in place of the 1/4 tsp. of almond or caramel extract the standard recipe calls for}. I used this Lime Buttercream Frosting Recipe:

1/2 Cup Nonhydrogenated shortening

1/2 Cup nonhydrogenated margarine {Earth Balance Rocks!}

3 1/2 Cups Confectioner's Sugar
1 Tsp. Vanilla Extract {Clear works nicely + keeps the icing white!}

1/4 Cup Lime Juice

1 Tsp. finely grated lime zest

******

Mix Shortening + Margarine till fluffy, add sugar; beat about 3 min. Then add Vanilla + Lime juice; beat another 5-7 min. Add zest, mix, chill until ready to serve.

{Recipe by Isa Chandra Moskowitz + Terry Hope Romero} I iced the cupcakes, rolled the tops in a plate of shredded coconut flakes, then finished off with a slice of lime. Heaven I tell you, just Heaven!


This mama is still winding down from all of the Easter festivities + preparations, so I will bid you all a super-sweet weekend and take my leave until Monday!
xo.







1 comment:

  1. Those look amazing! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts...especially if they are nice! So post away friends, post away!