Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Vegan Mexican Lasagna

Ok, I told you I'd be a busy bee this week getting back to teaching at the college {TODAY!!!, just sayin'}...but here is a delicious post that I've had up my sleeve, just a waitin' to be shared....
**************
Yes, you most certainly DID read that header correctly. My Mister is a huge fan of Mexican food, tacos + all things spicy. I like a little spice + Mexican myself...but the whole "taco production" I can do without! Too much work for a little bit of food, if you ask me! So here enters the influence of my Italian heritage: Vegan Mexican Lasagna.

I treat the soft {whole wheat} tortillas like they were lasagna noodles {begining + ending with them} and just layer my filling. Here I used vegan baked beans and then a layer of taco flavored tvp, corn + black beans. The top layer of tortilla always looks kind of naked to me, so I usually make a sauce, or just dump a jar of salsa on top if I'm in a pinch.

I'm a big fan of the Tofutti Sour Cream, but decided that I was in more of a guac mood, so that's how we finished off this delicious-ness. As much as I love inhaling it, the BEST part about this meal is that it is super easy to make + always big enough for a big group {OR, so there are LEFTOVERS!} And when it comes to this meal, it is almost better the second time around!

Make this...you'll be so glad that you did + will wonder how you ever lived without it?!



xo.

5 comments:

  1. That looks amazing! I'm trying to get into the cooking game and I'll definitely have to add this to my list to try out. Thanks for sharing! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. @rachelinaustin
    Growing up, it was just my mum + I most of the time...and she worked full time. So even though she knows how to cook very well, we didn't eat huge meals + there was rarely meat on the menue {lots of buttered pasta + veggies though!}...

    While I know it can be dauting to think about cooking vegan type meals, trust me, I can relate {since cooking meat seems just as foreign to me in many ways}...but I think it is all about starting with simple things that call for ingredients that are easy to find in regular stores {like this recipe!}

    I really hope you like it...you'll have to let me know how it turns out!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good! Trying it ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a Vegan Mexican Lasagna recipe that I use. It is very similar. I love Tofutti Sour Cream too. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We use the same sort of recipe but it is from Pioneer Woman. It is so yummy.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts...especially if they are nice! So post away friends, post away!