Monday, October 4, 2010

a good read

Ok, don't laught too hard, but I must confess that I participate in a "townie mommy" book club. At first I was a cynic and assumed that myself and most of the mamas in the club would not have loads in common {besides living in town + being able to reproduce}. But I have to admit that this was not the case! Over the years I have met lots of different women, read a number of great books + had a great time at the meetings chatting about the book {and anything else that came up} over a glass of wine.
***************
The book club does not meet in the summer + I was in need of a bit of a mind vacation via book, so during the last weeks of August, I picked up the series of 3 books by Stieg Larsson. While I usually like my murder mysteries to be more soft core, like Murder, She Wrote, I figured I'd give the books a try anyway. The first book, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, was a little tough to get into but before long I was hooked into the story...by the end of the week I was onto the second book { pic. above}, which I tore through in just a few days. Disturbing, yes, but that is apparently the jist of these murder mystery type books?
***************
I have not started the last book yet, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, but I have it. There is nothing like a good book to give your brain a rest from the hamster wheel it can be at times. Maybe during the winter break from teaching?
*************
And just for laughs, in the couple of weeks since I typed this post and hit publish, I have actually taken over the role of Book Club Coordinator fort the mommy group. Freaking hillarious, I know. The queen bee of book clubs was looking for a break + while I don't exactly have loads of extra time on my hands at present, I hated to see the group go under. So now I'm the book club queen bee! LAUGH HARD NOW. I just have to send out a few emails every so often...maybe host a meeting at my house {by default} if I can't get someone else to volunteer. I can handle that.
The next book we will be reading is “Make Me An Offer” by Jessica Dee Rohm. This book will actually be a "meet the author" event at a restaurant in town mid October. Sadly, most of us mama's will not have been relieved by the time the event starts at 5:30...but we will hopefully still meet for a little wine and chatting at someone's house anyway? I'm still working it out...I hope the book is good!
Happy reading!

2 comments:

  1. I'm just about to start a book club with some friends. I told them I will try it out and see how it goes. I don't really know if I'll have the time to read the books, let alone meet up to discuss them. Hopefully though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy to have discovered your blog Alison! That photo of you, hubby, & baby is so cute and I've been seeing that book every-where and was curious about it. I'd really enjoy being in a book club, but don't know of any. Maybe I'll follow you and START one! I hope your cold didn't ruin your birthday plans. :)

    Debra aphotographicmemory.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts...especially if they are nice! So post away friends, post away!