Tuesday, June 15, 2010

a craft perfectly suited for a pixie princess...

Last year I had wanted to do a craft with the kiddos at the Fif's 2nd birthday party. It was a japanese tea party theme, so I purchased origami paper to decoupage onto large wooden blocks. I had planned to finish them up on my own later {sanding them to look vintage-y and spraying with clear coat} and drop them off to our guests at a later time. It was a great idea, in theory, but the girls were really too young and the combination of party being outside on a quite warm day and my morning sickness...well, I think the blocks are still sitting in my basement somewhere.
***************
This year, I came up with a far better project. We used modge podge to glue "leaf skeletons" to these adorable wooden boxes I had found in the dollar section of the craft store. The girls added flowers and glitter and when they were done, I neatened up the modge podge and reinforced the flowers with hot glue.

I think the fact that the girls were older, that it was a smaller party and that we were inside in the air conditioning all helped make this project a success. The whole thing lasted about 10 minutes, just right amount of time for little attention spans. And if I realized one thing it was that less is definitely more; by choosing a select few things {the leaves, flowers and glitter} that I knew would look good, it guaranteed a beautiful box...and an easy clean up!
***************

And we mama's all know when it comes to the little people, the best things are the one's that turn out lovely, but with very little mess!
a.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts...especially if they are nice! So post away friends, post away!