Thursday, July 15, 2010

clothing optional

{ A Tale of Sorts}
So my neighbors are nudists. Yup. Nudists. At fist glance they appear just like any middle aged couple living in our little middle/ upper middle class town.... And you should know that they are not just random nudists, no, they are the presidents of the nudist club that meets at the local nude beach {everyone should have a "local nude beach", don't you agree?}

The home they live in across the street from us used to be their summer home, however, they loved the neighborhood so much they decided to make this their permanent residence. Truth be told, they are a most wonderful couple, awesome neighbors and are completely appropriate + reasonably discrete about their recreational activities. And while my female nudist will always manage to say something that will make my face turn scarlet, there is not a complaint one could make about them. They keep the most lovely gardens and my kiddos so enjoy being invited over to feed the fish in their pond. What made me think of them though, is that this saturday is their annual Luau party. Each year we are invited and instructed to cover our ass with grass and come and party till the next hightide.

Wanting to be nice neighbors, we have gone to a couple of the parties {clothed}, early while the guests' clothing {albeit scant} was still on. I think my mister and I tend to come accross as being way cooler than we actually are because we are one of the few people from the block who have merited such an invitation. Oh yes, these parties are the talk of the town! The streets are lined with cars that are always still there the following morning + the neighbors can only guess as to what is going on behind their massive privacy fence!
************
A couple of years back I opened my big mouth when I over heard a couple of block mamas {who would never be invited to said party} being catty about my nudist neighbors. I just could not help it...I felt like, "hey, I can talk about my nudist neighbors, but you can't!" Sure, I wanted to defend my neighbors, but I think I was also defending myself and anyone else who has ever been judged for marching to their own beat {ie: being vegetatian, homeschooling, how one dresses or raises their children, etcetera.} I felt like I was going to confession when I came home from the "girls night" to tell John that I had not been able to bite my tongue. He just shook his head.
************
Although our interests vary, I have much respect for and feel a connection with people who live an authentic and unique life. I don't think differences are something to be jeered at and is certainly not a behavior anyone would want their children to model. Sometimes you need to open your mouth; to do what is right instead of what is popular. So while we won't be attending the Luau this year, I hope the party is a huge success...I just hope we can find a place to park when we come home from our plans that evening!


7 comments:

  1. I wish I was invited to things like that. I have sort of the opposite effect on people. People look at me and think "oh, she's so normal" and then leave me out.

    I need to do something bizarre so the cool kids will include me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, there is surely something a bit strange about seeing people who could be your parents in not much more than grass skirts!

    We are all a little different in our own ways...I don't think anyone would think us {or my neighbors} the cool kids per se, but when you are true to yourself, I believe you wind up associating with other like minded people; with people who are openminded and enjoy life.

    I think that definately includes you H& Needle!
    :)
    a.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cool that you have nudist neighbors! I wish everyone felt like being their own strange selves and celebrating it....what a party life could be then.
    this reminds me of a christmas card my wonderfully funny friends sent me one year...One the cover: "Unwrap the magic of the holidays" On the inside: a picture of everyone, including the kids, naked, with the proper parts megapixeled to blurry oblivion. Still, the effect was not lost and was incredibly funny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think regardless of your individual "uniqueness", people who walk to beat of their own drum tend to find others who do the same, just in different ways. We gravitate to one another, not in an "I'm cool, you're cool, let's hang" way, just a kind of kindred spirit kind of way. It's not deep, it's instinct.

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmm...i think you have a healthy perspective on your relationships with your neighbours. I wonder whether your female nudist neighbour says things to make your face turn scarlet to prompt a reaction from you but in turn appreciates you.

    Happy SITS saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Anna M Blanch
    LOL, my education background is in psychology and I worked as a counselor pre children, so although I feel scarlet, I'm pretty good at keeping a straight face!

    I do agree that my neighbor probably appreciates that she can just be herself around me though!
    a.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "cover your ass with grass." These are some folks I've got to meet. ;)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts...especially if they are nice! So post away friends, post away!