Thursday, July 29, 2010

a bit of stitching?

I've been having kind of a stitching bug lately. I was going through my craft cabinet {which is half a mess} when came accross some things that I had embroidered, along with some things that the Monks had made. You see, embroidery is probably one of my favourite things to do, and also one of the first skills that I learned. I remember helping my grandmother make french knots on a piece of fabric that would later become a pillow, and being amazed that I had helped to create something so lovely. I feel very fortunate to have had people in my life who exposed me to this creative world. The Monks + I worked on a couple of projects a while back that I had come accross in my perusing the other day. The first was a picture he drew, that I then copied onto linen, embroidered and made into a pillow. The second {above} was a picture he drew + embroidered himself! It is such a sweet little thing, isn't it? So I pulled out this book full of nifty embroidery ideas. I could probably close my eyes, flip to any page + be thrilled to begin whatever project I had turned to. Here is one type of stitch from the book that I had used to embellesh a bread bag that I had sewn. I used yellow linen to make the bag, maroon linen embroidery floss for the roses + a lovely little maroon velvet ribbon for the drawstring.

************
I think part of what I like most about the embroidery in this book is the texture created by using various types of embroidery floss. I have not been fortunate enough to come accross some of these in the fabric store near me + I think I will have to place an online order. In the mean time, perhaps I will see if the little folk are up for some embroidery? From experience, I found that working with a smaller hoop makes it easier for littles to do an up stitch, although with the Fif, I fully expect to be helping the entire time. But it does sound like such a fun way to spend a bit of a day out of the heat, doesn't it?
Have a most lovely Thursday everyone!

3 comments:

  1. I love the idea of making a sampler out of kid art. Bravo! SITS sent me by, and I'm glad they did...

    An Acquired Taste

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by my blog and introducing yourself. It's nice to know someone else whose trying to raise creative kiddos while working. :) Love the stitches! Your embroidery is amazing! I wish I had more patience for embroidery. Knitting I could do all day, but embroidery just seems more intimidating to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that bag is beautiful! great job, Alison. :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts...especially if they are nice! So post away friends, post away!