Thursday, July 1, 2010

baby gear

As you may or may not know by now, I am a big fan of wooden toys. I love the way my little one's play with them; how the wood encourages them to use their imaginations + be creative. I think wooden toys are quality purchases and I have even daydreamed about my grandchildren one day being able to play with some of the larger things, like the kitchen. But most of all {yes, this is really shallow}, I love the way they LOOK! How could anyone not prefer the beauty and craftsmanship of wooden toys to the bulky plastic alternative that is all around us?
***************
My point to all of this is that I haave been looking for an item of baby gear. One would think that by baby #3, I'd have everything I could need, however at various times I thought we would not be having more children, so I sold or passed on many things. I don't think I ever enjoyed ridding myself of an item as much as I did "the exersaucer". I've owned two and now that I am in the market for a third, try as I might, I cannot find anything wooden.
I found one antique walker that was kind of terrible, but when I went to save a photo to show you here...well, I came across this one, pictured above that is listed on ebay. It is from the 1850's and is just beautiful! It is also $695. So while it is out of my price range for sure, I can make myself feel better knowing that it would probably not have been the safest choice. I just don't understand why one of the European toy companies have not come up with something like this? So for now, plastic has the corner market on exersaucers and walkers...I suppose I'll be headed to Target.
***************
UPDATE: We put the kabash on the exersaucer idea when we came across this Johnny Jumper. It hangs in the doorway without any major hardware, it's small, mostly cloth {as far as the eye can see} and serves it's purpose for getting those little legs a working. And at just 1/3 the cost of what I was looking at spending on "the saucer", I could not be more pleased. Huzzah!
a.

5 comments:

  1. We have the Johnny (from a secondhand store) at Grammie and Pop's house, but a Jumperoo at our house. Loaded with plastic, but you just can't beat that gummy happy grin as she springs around like a harnessed jack rabbit. We've never had an exersaucer. I loved the Sit and Spin when I was little. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hated the exersaucer with a passion. It took up so much space and was such an eyesore. Luckily Lila hated it too so I didn't have to have it around for too long. What a great photo of the old timey walker! I love seeing stuff like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That anitque saucer is oddly scary looking, yet the wood is beautiful. It looks like a nice piece of furniture. Its so funny to think that people almost 200 years ago used things like this.

    :)Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I fell out of one of those walker things when I was a baby and still have a couple of tiny scars to show for it. Bleed everywhere apparently!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This antique is surely not safest choice!...kind of strange, but also lovely to look at! I'm happy with the door hanging jumper...although the little lamb is still on the floor most of the time!
    xo
    a.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts...especially if they are nice! So post away friends, post away!