Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Children of Lir

Allod. water color on bristol board, 16x20

Ok, so I could not wait until tomorrow...here is the headpiece {of sorts} for this series of work I've named Children of Lir. The story of the Children of Lir is an Irish myth in which the four children of the sea god, Lir are transformed into swans and are to live as such for 900 years. The children stay together, even as swans and are eventually able to break the spell.
************
This first painting was a rather ambitious undertaking, as it is the largest piece I have painted. Thinking my hippocampus friend looks rather regal, I named him Allod, which is another name for the sea god, Lir. I'm looking foward to posting the next two paintings in this curious collection that are quite near being complete!
Hooray!
****

2 comments:

  1. I have never heard of that myth before but now, thanks to your painting, I am so very interested in knowing more about it, I can not wait to see the rest of the collection

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter loves this painting and is asking how much money it is. It is a wonderful painting.

    :)Lisa

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts...especially if they are nice! So post away friends, post away!